Swim Tests at the Y
Published Monday, October 22, 2018
Swim tests may be conducted only by Glens Falls YMCA Lifeguards or Swim Instructors
- Swim test Times: Tues/Thurs 5:30p-6:30p - Sat 12:30-1:30p
- Anytime during family swim when two or more Lifeguards are on duty and there are fewer than 25 people in the pool.
Swim Test Procedures:
- All patrons under the age of 12 must take a swim test before being able to swim in the deep end
- Patrons over the age of 12 but under 16 may be required to take a swim test, at the lifeguards discretion
- Lifeguards may revoke or retest patrons at any time
- At no time may a child whom has not passed a swim test swim in the deep end of the pool
- Unless as part of a Glens Falls YMCA Swim Lessons or special event authorized by the Aquatics Director
- Wristbands will be issued by the lifeguard upon successful completion of the swim test.
- Patrons are responsible for bringing their wristbands each time they would like to swim in the deep end.
- If patrons fail to bring their wristband, they will check in with front desk to get one to borrow.
- Non-members and Guests will be able to borrow a wristband after passing the swim test
Swimmer must demonstrate:
- Jumping feet first into the shallow end and start swimming toward the deep end.
- During the swim the swimmer's body must remain horizontal in the water.
- Must swim with their face fully in the water for a portion of the swim.
- Once in the deep end the swimmer must climb out of the pool and jump back into the water.
- The swimmer must then tread water for one minute.